WE’RE HIRING: THEATRE & DANCE DIRECTOR
To apply for jobs at AS220, please send all materials requested in the specific position descriptions below to email@example.com. Applications can also be faxed to 401-454-7445, or be mailed or hand delivered to:
95 Mathewson Street #204
Providence, RI 02903
Prospective candidates should spend some time on our web site, as220.org, before applying.
AS220 Theatre and Dance Director (Full Time)
The Theatre and Dance Director is first and foremost responsible for stewarding opportunities for the theater and dance community in RI to create and present work at AS220. This includes outreach and assistance in the programing and production of theatrical works at AS220’s 95 Empire Blackbox. The position reports to the Artistic Director. The Theatre and Dance Director works closely with and supervises the AS220 Dance Program Manager and the Lead Theatre Production Manager to coordinate staffing and production of all performance events.
Responsibilities fall into the following areas:
- Program the theatrical performances at AS220’s Blackbox Theatre. A mandate of the AS220 mission is that any performing artist based in RI will get a chance to perform here. The position is responsible for implementing this mandate and balancing the schedule with a wide diversity of content.
- Coordinate the Community Live Arts Residencies and other short/long term residency programs.
- Manage relationships with other local theatre/dance programs.
- Foster the work of local emerging theater/dance artists
- Coordinate theatre and dance festivals (e.g. Modern Movements Dance Festival), and participate in organization-wide festivals (e.g. Foo Fest and PVD Fest).
- Supervise and schedule Theatre Production Staff: Theatre Production Manager and Dance Program Manager.
- Provide all necessary production information to key production staff per event
- On-site support for programs and events in 95 Empire performance venues as necessary
- Periodically assist with the hanging and set up of productions
Facilities, Administration and Communications:
- Oversee facilities located within 95 Empire, including the Blackbox Theatre, the Dance Studio, Aborn Gallery, Psychic Readings and 95 Empire basement
- Maintain budgets and performance run reports
- Perform and/or oversee administrative tasks necessary to ensure smooth operations of the 95 Empire programs
- Gather and submit programmatic promotional materials to Communications Director for content presented at the Theater/Dance program
- Maintain public performance calendars and ensure updated web content
- Gather and report programmatic data in conjunction with the Director of Institutional Engagement
- Support fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Development Office
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- A working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance and music productions.
- Enthusiasm for supporting and nurturing a theater community in Rhode Island.
- At ease in an environment of diverse cultures and values
- A working knowledge of sound and lighting equipment is a plus
- Ability to teach theatre or dance practice a plus
- BA and 3-5 years experience required (MA or MFA preferred)
- Proficiency in Excel