WE’RE HIRING: DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
AS220 Development Associate
AS220’s Development Associate will work in close collaboration with the Director of Development and Grants Manager to plan and implement fundraising initiatives according to organizational needs and priorities. Core duties will include grant writing, individual donor cultivation, assistance with sponsorship solicitation and fundraising/special events, donor database management, and other fund development activities as needed.
Prospective candidates should visit as220.org to familiarize themselves with AS220’s work before applying.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Benefits: Includes healthcare and paid time off
Reports to: Director of Development
Salary: All staff in AS220’s non-profit operations are paid an equal pay rate of $19 per hour (fixed salary of $39, 520 per year for full-time staff)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Assist Development staff with the management of AS220’s grants and reports calendar.
- Develop, write and submit grant proposals and accompanying documents, effectively communicating the organization’s mission and programs while meeting deadlines.
- Liaise with Program Directors to gather information required to submit both grants and reports.
- Work with Grants Manager to undertake research and analysis of foundation and grant opportunities.
- Assist the Director of Development in identifying donors, their affinity and capacity to give.
- Assist in maintaining a system of relationships, solicitation strategies, cultivation activities and asks for individual donors.
- Promptly and accurately enter donations into donor database.
- Promptly and accurately generate and send donor acknowledgment letters.
- Work with the Director of Development to plan and implement goals and strategies for the Annual Fund, and collaborate with AS220’s Communications Director to create Appeal strategy and communications.
- Work to ensure AS220’s donor database is managed to be current, accurate, comprehensive and useful.
- Help coordinate major events — focussing on seeking sponsorship, in-kind and monetary donations and donor/funder/sponsor attendance — for AS220’s annual ‘spike’ events including Foo Fest, PVD Fest, AS220 Youth’s Futureworlds, Drink+Ink, donor stewardship events, and others as required.
- Assist with the creation of print and electronic institutional and development materials that assists the public in learning about AS220 and its programs.
- Assist with special fundraising projects, such as major capital campaigns.
- Assist with other fundraising activities as needed.
Development Best Practice:
- Stay abreast of the field of development, analyzing development techniques for effectiveness, staying current with changing development technologies and strategies.
- Help to create and maintain a culture of stewardship, accountability and trust among donors and funders, ensuring timely donor and funder acknowledgement.
- Assist Development staff to create and maintain a “culture of philanthropy” within AS220: an understanding of the importance of development in supporting staff’s work and a willingness to actively participate in fundraising efforts.
- Participate in relevant professional development opportunities on topics such as fundraising, donor stewardship and cultivation, marketing and outreach, and community engagement.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Affinity to AS220 mission and programs
- 3-5 years of development experience preferred
- Able to craft grant applications and fundraising materials in a clear, succinct and compelling manner
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills are essential; attention to detail is a must
- Self-motivated and highly organized
- A high level of computer literacy required
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort interacting in-person with organizational supporters
- Able to balance interpersonal needs with administrative deadlines
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively in an open office environment
- Ability to handle donor and personal information with sensitivity and confidentiality
To Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and one writing sample (no longer than 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate Position” as the subject.
After the first round of interviews, preferred candidates will be given a writing task to complete within an allotted period of time.